Saturday, October 9, 2010

Busy Blues

Another rant by moondust.

How often have you heard the word “I’m busy” said to you? Off late, that is all I seem to be hearing! I myself not being an exception!

Friends. All my friends now are buried under a huge pile of work, either at office or at college with their assignments. Last year, the word “busy” made me cringe and tune out of the conversations. How much work can a person have? If people want to, they can always make time for things they want to do. Well, I guess it is true that you will never understand one’s problems to the full extent until you yourself are faced with the issue. Case in point- ME. Nowadays (i.e. after starting to work), the mere fact of coming home at 8 P.M. makes me a lethargic time-waster when I’m at home. When the weekends do turn up, I am in the bliss of having to do nothing, and in need of an ever extended break that stretches for the whole weekend, without doing anything that is remotely beneficial to my current situation. The thought of having my whole week sucked into a black hole that spits me out every Friday evening, makes me an idle potato. I wonder, are we structured to behave this way? Or is it a challenge posed to us by the universe and its ‘superpowers’ that is another race to prove our worth, our existence?

This just may be me ranting as I have never had this many things to do and to keep up with at any point in my life before work. College years, the most useless years of my life, has spoilt me to no end. On the positive side, there is always a sense of satisfaction or accomplishment that is there now that was never there while doing engineering. I would say, that is reason enough to let go of my past lazy days but the thought that there NEVER will be any in the future is quite scary. No more of those study holidays, when all I used to do was lounge around without reading the umpteen number of chapters that I had to.

Coming back to my point about making time for things you should do, it is definitely not an inviting option. My weekends have become the time during which I try and re-live my lazy days. This I have come to realise is definitely not healthy! The hangover I get on Monday, from all the lounging around I do is part of it. There is also the part about my eluding all the work I should be doing, which does nothing to make my life easier to live. It would be great if we were all part-droid, we could switch off that part when we want to be more human and we could make full use of our robotic self when we approach our procrastination threshold ;) That should be all The-Big-bang-theory-watching that is inspiring me to emulate Sheldon (a character from the above mentioned TV series).

Recently, a constant annoyance to me has been elusive recommenders.

“I’m sorry ma... I have been very busy these days”

“Could you call me back on ---day?”

This is what inspired me to write this blog. How busy can a person get that they do not have a moment to hit reply, to my email and type a single line?! Well, I guess thinking on those lines would make me a hypocrite. THAT is another flaw of humans. As I have noticed, most of my flaws are centred on the fact that I’m human, get me some Artificial Intelligence I say!!

5 comments:

  1. i love being busy! i feel more active than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, i agree with you. if you really care about something or someone, you will find the time, however late the reply might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.. You have a few teams waiting for you to do something (say run a software build on your system, containing all their code) and they are waiting for the output. You are under immense pressure. Pune, Chandigarh, and Chennai. All waiting with bated breath because if build fails, it means their code is wrong. At this moment if I hit reply, all I can type is, Oh fuck, I'm gonna get majorly screwed. Dot.

    Lol.. On another note, I can TOTALLY relate to what you are saying. I have also ALWAYS thought of why people can't reply to a single SMS, a single email, or something. If you message someone saying have a great day, how long will it take to say "Thanks, you too!" ???

    People may not have time to think about all their friends in a tight schedule, but at least if these friends try to contact you, the least thing we can do is reply!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. I'm sufficiently guilt-ridden to feel that the entire conversation could be directed towards me. But seriously the mobile phone is the biggest bane of life. In an attempt to explain ...

    On an average day i get about 30-35 calls during the course of the day AT LEAST.

    They don't care if you are at lunch, you are in the loo, you are in a meeting.. anything. If you don't pick up they will call and call and call till you eventually do. If you don't pick up the mobile the next second they'll ring the landline. Then they'll bombard you with messages- 'trying to reach pls call ASAP. Any feedback? any response?' There is no escape.

    On a stressful day my hand starts trembles and heart stops every time the phone rings. I took off the ring tone because I started hearing the that ghastly music play every time I sleep.

    I talk I talk I talk all day - trying to buy time to get work done, trying to convince them that they are important and trying to get work done.

    To me the phone is not a way to reach the people I want when I want but a way for people I don't want to reach me whenever they want. Naturally I'm not a big fan of communicating through the phone.

    If I sound neurotic I am. But I still love my job. AMEN.

    PS: I agree about weekends. The whole week I say - ok I'll do this on sunday, I'll meet so-and-so on Sunday, I'll clean on Sunday i'll shop on Sunday and Walk on Sunday I'll read on Sunday. What do I do? I sleep on sunday. ANd on Monday - I want a weekend!

    ReplyDelete